Fellow Lions of District 12-N,
The Hawaiian District 12-N Convention is now behind us. In addition to having some fun at the Crowne Plaza in Knoxville, thanks to great entertainers, we accomplished some very important business.
Your leadership team for the next Lions year was elected.
- Diane Wilkerson from the Powell Lions Club will become District Governor,
- Mike McDonough from the Campbell County Lions Club will become 1st Vice District Governor and
- Ed Gibbons from the Johnson City Lions Club will become 2nd Vice District Governor.
Congratulations to you all and thank you for stepping up to take on these very important leadership positions.
Additionally, the proposed District 12-N Constitution and Bylaws were ratified and becomes effective immediately. This very important action now makes our governing documents fully compliant with those of our International Association. And, the proposed changes to the Constitution for 12-N Charities (White Cane) were also ratified.
The 2012-2013 budget for 12-N charities was approved as recommended by the 12-N Charities Board. This budget now becomes a commitment by all the clubs in our District to collect White Cane donations in Lions Year 2012-2013 to support the work of organizations like; Lions Volunteer Blind Industries, Learning Ally, East Tennessee Lions Eye Bank, Tennessee School for the Blind, Tennessee School for the Deaf, Leader Dog, etc. In these hard economic times the demands for services from these organizations have increased while their sources of income have decreased. Please Lions, let’s do our share to ensure their continued service.
The visiting International Director, Sonja “Sunny” Pulley, gave an inspiring talk and awarded three Presidential Certificates of Appreciation, the 4th highest award in Lionism. The Certificates were awarded to:
- PDG Dennis Powell of the Johnson City Lions Club for his many years of leadership and heading the tornado disaster relief efforts last year in Greene and Washington Counties,
- Lions John and Katie Haley from the Tellico Village Lions Club for their tenacious efforts that sparked screening for diabetes in the Tellico Village Lions Club, then District 12-N and now in each district in MD-12, and
- Lion Karen Taylor-Good from the Franklin Lions Club for her inspiring music; “Because You Serve,” “We Serve” and “Hands” that inspire Lions to community service worldwide. She even wrote and performed a song for District 12-N. Listen and/or watch at: http://tnlions.org/recognition/tribute/
I want to thank everyone who had a hand in making the 2012 District 12-N Convention such a success. I know I will miss someone if I try to name you all so I’ll hit just the highlights:
- the Convention Chairperson Kathy Burrow, who made everything run like clockwork as if there was no effort,
- the Tellico Village Lions Club for the Hospitality Suite,
- the Farragut Lions Club for New Officer Reception and for Kathy and Norvell Burrow,
- the Seminar Leaders; PDG Wendy Cain – What Every Lion Should Know, Lion Harmon Towne / EMT Rick Papke – How to Do Diabetes Screening and PDG Jim McFarland – KidSight, and
- my favorite Cabinet Secretary, Lion Paulette Bailey, who has been my everlasting support and the love of my life.
Thank you all.
DG Chuck Bailey