Lion of the Year
Guidelines for the Lion of the Year Award 2011
Deadline for submissions is January 28, 2012
Contest Period: January 1, 2011 – December 31, 2011
Use the following format to submit your Club’s “LION OF THE YEAR” for competition in the District and Multiple District contests. Or, download the Microsoft Word version of Lion of the Year application form.
Complete your club’s entry form in detail and mail it to your District Contest and Awards Chairman POST-MARKED NO LATER THAN January 28, 2012. Include a small picture of your candidate (color print is acceptable) if at all possible.
Attach additional pages (no more than 6) with the information specified in items 1 – 3 below. No additional pictures or letters of recommendation will be considered.
- NAME OF YOUR LIONS CLUB
- NAME OF YOUR “LION OF THE YEAR”
- HOME ADDRESS OF YOUR “LION OF THE YEAR”
- How many years has this Lion been a member of your club?
(1) SERVICE RENDERED TO YOUR LOCAL LIONS CLUB BY YOUR CANDIDATE DURING THE PAST YEAR. (Counts 50 points) Include offices held and other responsibilities assumed by your candidate during the past twelve (12) months: projects chaired, accomplishments, awards received, meetings attended, perfect attendance, members sponsored, etc.
(2) SERVICE RENDERED TO YOUR COMMUNITY BY YOUR CANDIDATE DURING THE PAST YEAR. (Counts 40 points) Include local community service outside Lionism; such as Church, youth recreation, volunteer health drives and various other humanitarian services
(3) WHY, IN THE OPINION OF YOUR CLUB, SHOULD YOUR CANDIDATE BE CONSIDERED AN OUTSTANDING LION BY OUR DISTRICT? (Counts 10 points) A good detailed recommendation from the Club’s Lion of the Year Chairman or Secretary will be quite helpful.
Respectfully submitted:Name of Secretary or Lion of the Year Chairman Address Phone
Rules and regulations governing the “Lion of the Year” selection in the District and Multiple District.
NOTE: A club nominating a candidate for “Lion of the Year” must be “In Good Standings” with the District and International dues paid up to date.
The committee selecting the Lion of the Year shall consider the following points with regard to the importance of the three items in the contest:
- Item #1 = 50 Points
- Item #2 = 40 Points
- Item #3 = 10 Points
2. Only one nominee from a club may be entered each year in the District Contest, only one nominee from a District may be entered each year in the Multiple District Contest and only one Multiple District Lion of the Year shall be selected each year.
3. The candidate shall have been “In Good Standing” in his/her local club during the entire contest period. (See MD-12 Constitution and By Laws Article III, Section 1 and Lions International Constitution and By-Laws Article XI, Section 1(a).)
4. Contest begins January 1, 2011 and ends December 31, 2011.
5. The District Contest & Awards Chairman must receive the local club’s completed entry form postmarked nolater than January 28, 2012, for the entry to be considered.
6. The District selection committee shall be chaired by the District Contest & Awards Chairman and shall be composed of Lions appointed by the District Governor.
7. Those ineligible to be entered in the District competition are: District Governor, Vice District Governors, Immediate Past District Governor and District Contest & Awards Chairmen.
8. The District winner will be announced at a time and place selected by the District, with appropriate awards and publicity being given.
9. The District Contest & Awards Chairman will submit the District winner entry to the Multiple District 12 Tennessee Lions Contest & Awards Chairman on or before a date specified by the MD-12 Contest & Awards Chairman. Only one nominee shall be submitted to the Multiple District Contest & Awards Chair by February 25, 2012.
10. The State Contest & Awards Committee shall review the District entries sufficiently in advance of the State Convention in order to select a winner and have a suitable award prepared for presentation before the close of the State Convention.
11. Each Club’s Secretary or Lion of the Year Chairman shall mail the completed candidate’s entry form to the District 12-N Contest & Awards ChairLion Shaaron McFarland, District 12-N Contest & Awards Chair 8030 White Stone Road Knoxville, TN 37938