Service Project Ideas
Sharing the Vision
20 Ideas for Vision Service Projects
(from Lion magazine, September 2010)
- Work with local eye care professionals to organize an eye health and safety presentation for school children.
- Arrange sport and recreational activities for persons who are visually impaired such as bowling, fishing or swimming.
- Sponsor a Braille exhibit at your local library.
- Organize transportation service to medical and other appointments for persons who are blind or visually impaired.
- Volunteer at a rehabilitation or vocational training center for the blind/visually impaired.
- Volunteer at a recreational camp for children or adults who are blind or visually impaired. Provide campers with meals or transportation, or help with camp clean-up and repairs.
- Conduct vision and diabetes screenings for elderly persons at local residential living facilities.
- Encourage a parent of a blind child to enroll in free, distance education courses offered by LCI partner, The Handley School for the Blind.
- Contact the nearest Lions Eye Bank to obtain literature and donor cards. At a planned event, distribute materials to the public, encouraging them to make a pledge to donate their eyes for sight-saving procedures, education and research.
- Contact local schools to learn if they need aids and appliances, books and technological products for students with vision loss.
- Organize a community “sight walk” to raise funds in support of your nearest Lions camp for children who are blind and visually impaired.
- Arrange for a person with a guide dog to be a guest presenter at your club’s community event.
- Collaborate or consult with a blindness professional in an effort to educate the community (citizens, business owners, etc.) in ways they can effectively interact with a person who is blind or visually impaired.
- Volunteer a a local eye bank or a Lions Eyeglass Recycling Center.
- Help bring textbooks and literature to life. Volunteer to read books and periodicals for blind and visually impaired persons.
- Hold an educational event to promote diabetes awareness and related vision loss.
- Become aware of the various vision loss/blindness resources in the community; create a resource directory and share it with parents, educators and medical professionals in your community.
- To promote awareness of the common causes of vision loss and blindness, collaborate with eye care professionals to hold a community educational event.
- Send collected eyeglasses to the nearest Lions Eyeglass Recycling Center.
- Organize a community self-help group for persons who are blind/visually impaired or for their families.