Kingston Lions Monument Home at Last!

On August 24, 2012, in Club Items, Recognition, by 12-N Lions

In the spring of 1955, the Kingston Lions Club embarked on a project to provide a pavilion in the Kingston City Park. This was to be financed with funds derived from their annual boat races on July 4th on the course deemed one of the best by the National Outboard Association. The first preliminary drawing was made on April 24, 1955, by Martin Skinner, a Club member, with other drawings following during the next few weeks. (Note: these drawings have recently been found by the Parks & Recreation Department staff.). The Lions Club served as the General Contractor on the project, with most of the labor being provided by Club members. The exact date of completion is not known, but probably was early 1956.

In order that future generations would know that the building was erected by the Kingston Lions Club, an engraved granite marker was created to be placed in the building. Unfortunately, this concluding step did not take place when the building was completed. It was 10 – 15 years later that a brick monument was constructed at the open end of the pavilion to hold the marker. Unfortunately, within days vandals pushed over the monument with a vehicle. The marker was recovered by the late Henry Wattenbarger, a Lions Club member, and taken to his garage for storage.

Fast forward to about 2010, when the City of Kingston decided that a larger and more useful pavilion was needed. When Wattenbarger learned of this plan, he hand carried the marker into the Community Center and put it in the custody of the Parks and Recreation Director, Rick Ross (a Lion). The agreement was that this marker would be erected at the new building. It took about two years to accomplish this, but at the end of June of 2012 staff members of the Parks and Recreation Department built a stone monument at the north end of the new pavilion that includes the marker. So, at last, the marker is in its rightful place. It is appropriate since the Kingston Lions Club contributed financially to the new building. May it continue to occupy a prominent spot in Kingston for all to see of the contribution of the Kingston Lions Club!

Tagged with:
 

Comments are closed.



Comments are closed.